Often, women will swap their body’s wisdom for a gadget or a test kit to identify their most fertile times and timing conception.
These are expensive and and can make you feel like you’d never be able to figure this out yourself. Mother Nature thinks of everything, and guess what, she let’s you know when you are most likely to get pregnant.
While we are usually very familiar with PMS symptoms, (pimples, sore boobs, cravings, mood swings, etc.) and very few are able to accurately recognize the symptoms of their peak fertility.
What are they?
- Mucus fluctuations
- Heightened sex drive
- Pheromones make you more attractive to the opposite sex for the duration of your peak fertility
- Energy boost
Did you know, out of these, the most reliable key to recognizing your most fertile time and timing conception is YOUR CERVICAL MUCUS! I know examining cervical mucus may sound gross, truly it is the easiest and simplest way to telling when you should have sex to get pregnant (and avoiding sex if you don’t want to get pregnant), so JUST DO IT!
Each of your cycles are unique as each of you are. No gadget will be able to tell you as precisely as your own body when you are fertile. You may even learn a thing or two about your cycle. So, let’s rejoice that we have access to such an amazing built in mechanism!
Mucus fluctuates with your hormones
- Estrogen levels are low at the beginning of your cycle. Mucus mirrors its levels and will be scanty, sticky and tacky and opaque in color. This mucus is infertile and hostile to sperm because it’s acidic and thick not allowing sperm to swim forward. It will form a plug across the cervix preventing sperm from entering.
- As estrogen gradually starts increasing with approaching ovulation, the mucus will change in quantity and texture. It’s not yet fertile but it’s becoming more fluid and the PH is increasing and becoming more sperm friendly.
- As ovulation approaches, your mucus will become wetter, clearer and thinner. There also will be lots more of it! This is fertile mucus and will enable sperm to swim and survive.
- Estrogen peaks right before ovulation. The mucus will become raw egg white like. It’ll stretch – this is the mos fertile mucus. It dislodges the mucus plug, leaving the cervix open.
- After ovulation, as estrogen starts to drop, the mucus will gradually return to what it looked like after your period and before ovulation – infertile.
What are you looking for when checking mucus?
- How does it feel when you’re walking around
- How does it look
- How much of it is there
- What color is it
- How does it smell
When should you check your mucus?
When using the bathroom – check to see if there is any mucus on the mouth of the vagina. If so, examine it and use the above criteria to tell if it is fertile or not.
It takes time and practice before you can confidently recognize your peak fertility. Practice makes perfect and the sooner you start the faster you’ll master the art of peak fertility times and timing conception!